Yesterday morning I found out that a woman, B., I'd known in middle school and high school had died from a combination of complications relating to bone marrow transplant and pneumonia.
Although we hadn't spoken in nearly 20 years, this loss of someone -- who I had gone camping with, worked in the high school theatre alonside, who I had goofed around with in English class -- hit me harder than I expected.
I tried to think of an appropriate way to mourn her passing and celebrate what I had known of her. I remember that she had taught me how to make Monkey Bread, a sugary decadent confection that is fun to eat, and fun to make. I hadn't made it in years.
On my way home, I picked up the ingredients at the grocery store, and together with A. and N., we made a Monkey Bread. A. and N. didn't know it, but they were helping me to sort out complicated feelings of grief.
The Monkey Bread was delicious. Thanks, B. I know the world is missing you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think B would approve. Such a great way to celebrate her life.
ReplyDelete